Up to five (5) Finalists will be chosen in each category from the application pool based upon an evaluation of the submitted materials. The Initial Jury, composed of a select group of established flamenco professionals, will determine in the category the applicant may compete and will consider the following:
- The environment in which the applicant works/studies
- level of experience, training history and performance resume
- video submission, biography and personal statement
- The Applicant Criteria
The Initial Jury will score eligible applicants on a scale from 1 – 5 (poor – excellent) based on the following:
- technical proficiency
- overall performance
Detailed information about the initial selection process can be found HERE.
All Finalists will be notified of their selection the week of August 12, 2022.
*A $250 participation fee is required upon Finalist confirmation. Subsidies and payment plans are available.
Selected Finalists must be available from Saturday, October 8th through Friday, October 14th, 2022 to participate in all of the following required Certamen events. Optional feedback sessions take place Saturday, October 15th.
- October 8 – 13: One week residency at Lake Placid Arts Center in Lake Placid, NY. *For more information about this residency please see FAQs.
- October 14, 7:00pm: Final Performance and Judging at the Bruno Walter Auditorium at the NYPL for the Performing Arts.
- October 16: Optional Feedback Sessions with Mentors and select Jurors.
Full residency and Event details will be included in the Finalist Packet to be dispersed upon selection.
Awards will be announced on Friday, October 14 , 2022.
Winner at each level
Scholarships to study with our partners include but are not limited to:
- Premio Certamen de Coreografía de Danza Española y Flamenco: Special invitation to workshops with esteemed flamenco artists and open attendance to the Madrid Certamen competition, live in Madrid, Spain.
- Premios Patrocinador: One week of study with one of the Certamen Prize Sponsors in Spain.
2021 Past Prize Sponsors:
Certamen de Coreografía de Danza Española y Flamenco
Festival de Jerez
Flamenco Danza Estudio | Úrsula y Tamara López